Lemon Blueberry Scones
Nate got this recipe from a coworker this week and they are so good! I love the crunch of sugar on top and I love concentrated flavor and chewiness of the dried blueberries rather than the sometimes soggy results you get from fresh blueberries. I also would love to try a cranberry orange version of these.
2 3/4 c all purpose flur
1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
12 T (6 oz) unsalted cold butter, cubed into 3/4 in cubes) I used Kerrygold
1 c dried fruit (raising, blueberries, cranberries, etc)
1 T orange or lemon zest (optional)
1 c heavy cream
egg wash or milk
sugar (I used turbinado)
Preheat oven to 375.
1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.
2. Blend in butter with your fingers, smashing the cubes between your thumb & forefinger to form sheets.
3. Add fruit and zest. Toss to combine.
4. Add cream and mix together with your hands. It will take some work to pull the mixture into a dough.
5. Form into a disk, about 8" in diameter and 2" high. Cut into 8 wedges.
6. Place on baking sheet 2" apart. brush with egg wash or milk and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool.