Fall Harvest Salad
Creamy Maple Dressing
This dressing was a little sweet for me. Next time I want to try it with less maple syrup, maybe about 1 T less. I also didn't have half and half so I just added a little milk and it turned out well.
- 5 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (grainy or smooth)
- 2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Mayonaise
- 3 Tbsp Half & Half
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
Add all ingredients in a jar, then shake to mix. Store in fridge for 3-4 weeks.
I used kerrygold white cheddar.
- Serves 6 generous servings or 12 smaller servings
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 6 pieces bacon (sliced into 1/4" pieces)
- 1/4 of a red onion (sliced very thin)
- 1 bag of pre-washed spinach
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple (sliced thinly or chopped)
- 1 Pear (sliced thinly or chopped)
- 1 cup honey roasted Pecans
- 1/2 cup Shaved or crumbled sharp white cheddar (Bellavatano from Harmons grocery store here in Utah, is perfect)
- 1/2 cup Craisins (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
Roast Butternut squash cubes
Toss 2 cups butternut squash (1/2") cubes with a drizzle of Olive Oil and generous amounts of salt & pepper. Roast on a pan in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Don't overcook, you're looking for just cooked through squash.
slice 6 pieces of bacon into small 1/4" pieces and cook on medium heat until chewy & crispy. Lay on paper towel to drain off some of the fat. Let sit at room temperature.
Marinate Red Onion
To take the bitter bite out of onion, slice a 1/4 of a red onion very thinly (or chop) and soak in White Balsamic vinegar while making the salad. Drain before adding to salad.
Assemble in a bowl or display on a platter
- For a dramatic food centerpiece, deconstruct your salad into layers on a long serving trough.
- For a quick side salad, chop ingredients and toss in a bowl.
- For a plated salad for a dinner party, toss Spinach & Onions in dressing, then layer rest of the ingredients on a single plate.
- For a main dish, add a sliced chicken breast on top of salad, OR serve with a soup or grilled sandwich.