Broccoli Cheddar Soup
From A Bountiful Kitchen
YIELD 4 AS A MAIN COURSE
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots ( I used baby carrots)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- few drops of hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, whisked into 1/2 cup cold water or cold broth
- 2 cups (about 8 oz) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in large stockpot. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add carrots and broccoli cook for additional 3-4 minutes, season with salt, pepper, paprika and hot pepper sauce. Pour chicken broth and cream into vegetable mixture. Add one teaspoon mustard, whisk until smooth.
- Simmer over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl or cup, whisk the cold water or broth together with the cornstarchuntilsmooth. Pour into the stockpot with the vegetable mixture. Whisk until smooth. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese and cook just until cheese is melted. Reduce heat until ready to serve.
-Sharp or extra sharp cheese is best for this recipe.-If you want to make a heartier soup, cook a couple of chicken breast halves and shred or chop before adding to the finished soup.