Asparagus and Mushroom Farro bowl
From Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 3 cups), or 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 (8 1/2-oz.) pkg. precooked microwavable farro (such as Simply Balanced; about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 7/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds, or 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
How to Make It
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium; add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to skillet. Add sliced fennel bulb and asparagus; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Prepare farro according to package directions; place in a large bowl. Stir in butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice until butter is melted; divide among 4 serving bowls. Top evenly with mushroom mixture, fennel, asparagus, salt, scallions, and almonds. Sprinkle each bowl evenly with Parmesan cheese and fennel fronds.