The first step in this process, is to make the beef brisket. I usually make it on a Sunday and we have it with mashed potatoes, etc. for a Sunday dinner. Briskets are usually ginormous, so there are tons of leftovers and I stick it in freezer bags and freeze it to use later for nachos, enchiladas, beef stroganoff, etc.
So this post might be a little messy but here are the basic ingredients and steps:
Grated cheese (monterey, pepper jack or cheddar)
one can diced chiles
one can black beans
Toppings: Sour cream, avocado, onion, cilantro, candied or pickled jalapeños.
1. Make brisket. (see recipe below)
2. Make Enchilada Sauce (see recipe below)
3. Saute an onion and add one can black beans
4. Add the meat to the beans along with a can of diced chiles.
5. Add some enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (about 1/2 cup.)
6. Roll up mixture into flour tortillas and place in pan.
7. After pan is all full of the rolled tortillas, pour over enchilada sauce and top with grated cheese.
8. Bake in the oven at 375 until cheese is melted (about 20 min)
Beef Brisket from Pioneer Woman
- 2 cans beef consomme
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 pounds beef brisket
Combine the beef consomme, soy sauce, lemon juice, liquid smoke and garlic in a large roasting pan (a disposable is just fine). Place the brisket in the marinade, fat-side up. Cover tightly with foil. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Cook the brisket in the foil-covered pan until fork-tender, about 40 minutes per pound (6 to 7 hours). Transfer to a cutting board, slice against the grain and put the slices back into the cooking liquid. Serve immediately, spooning the juice over the slices. (Barbecue sauce may be used, if preferred.)
You may store the pan in the fridge for up to 2 days, or freeze for use at a later date. If fat collects and hardens at the top, remove and discard.
Brisket is great with mashed potatoes, with the juice spooned over the top. It is also great on a sandwich with melted cheese.
Enchilada Sauce from Bountiful Kitchen.
Red Enchilada Sauce:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chili powder
10 oz tomato paste
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
Saute the oil in saucepan with flour over medium high heat, mix with whisk until smooth and a bit bubbly. Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken broth, 1/4 cup chili powder, tomato paste, dried oregano and salt to taste. Continue to cook for about 5-10 minutes until thickened a bit.